in

Again, Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 minimum wage

Labour leaders have again rejected the N54,000 proposed by the federal government as the new minimum wage for workers in the country.

This was the decision of the organised labour after a meeting between the federal government and unionists in Abuja on Tuesday.

The federal government had upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the Organised Private Sector (OPS) had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who was at the meeting said on the condition of anonymity.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

“As regards the private sector, we did not get to them before the meeting was adjourned but we hope they also increase their initial offer.”

Organised labour on Monday reiterated its May 31, 2024 deadline for the implementation of the N615 new minimum wage.

The labour leaders are also planning a major protest should the federal government fail to implement the new minimum wage structure by May 31.

The article was originally published on Politics Nigeria.

Rivers State Assembly faction confirms eight new commissioners nominated by Fubara

BREAKING: Pochettino leaves Chelsea by mutual consent